Here is a list of questions from Dr. Elaine Aron to see if you are an HSP (Highly Sensitive Person).
- Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
- Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
- Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
- Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
- Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
- Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
- Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
- When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?
The other side of this is being an empath. Empaths are highly sensitive, finely tuned instruments when it comes to emotions. They feel everything, sometimes to an extreme, and are less apt to intellectualize feelings. Intuition is the filter through which they experience the world. Empaths are naturally giving, spiritually attuned, and good listeners. They are the natural counselors and healers.
I have been both an HSP and empath my whole life and I work with many people that are the same. It is very misunderstood in society and until we learn about it ourselves then we can begin making the people around us aware of it, so we can be more understood.
First and foremost, being sensitive is NOT a weakness, but a strength. It is a gift to be energy sensitive. It is your strength, it is how you are able to understand and help the people that you do help. It is your SUPERPOWER! You are aware of the world around you in ways that others are not. You can pick up on very subtle things that others can not. Think of it in that way, because as we know, it can be hard to be energy sensitive too. Thinking of this as your gift and superpower helps you to see the positive side of it.
We can get overwhelmed very easily, here are some tools to help Energy Sensitives handle that:
1. Daily alone time-minimum of 20 min, without electronics
2. Find a creative outlet to channel your sensitivity
3. Get quiet and meditate so you can distinguish your own feelings from others, as well as learn your needs.
4. Share your needs with those around you and explain why-I need 30 min of quiet alone time everyday to feel like myself again.
5. If you are feeling stressed out, find gratitude. When we are overwhelmed, we tend to only look at the negative. Take a moment to stop and be grateful for what is good in your life right now.
Join me for a free call to support energy sensitives on March 31 at 9pm central, 7pm pacific. To register email me at firstname.lastname@example.org